YAMAHA RECALL: YOUTH QUAD BIKE – RAPTOR 90
6 August 2017
YAMAHA Motor Australia has issued a recall for its Raptor 90 youth quad bikes following the detection of asbestos in the brake shoes, Minister for Small Business Michael McCormack says.
“Yamaha has recalled its Raptor 90 youth quad bike,” Mr McCormack said.
“This recall affects approximately 1600 bikes with model years 2016 and 2017, and is due to the detection of asbestos in the front and rear brake shoes.
“Owners of affected quad bikes will be contacted by Yamaha and can have the brake shoes replaced free of charge from September 2017, when parts are expected to be available.
“Consumers should not perform any maintenance, repairs or modifications on affected quad bikes that contacts or disturbs the front or rear brake shoes.
“If consumers are looking for further information about this recall they should contact Yamaha Motor Australia on 1300 593 600 or visitwww.productsafety.gov.au.”
Mr McCormack said the importation of products containing asbestos had been prohibited since 31 December 2003.
“The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission has activated the Government’s Heads of Workplace Safety Authorities Rapid Response Protocol which deals with imported goods and materials containing asbestos,” Mr McCormack said.
“The Rapid Response Protocol involves the ACCC, Asbestos Safety and Eradication Agency, Department of Immigration and Border Protection, and State and Territory SafeWork agencies.”
Mr McCormack said, as Minister responsible for Consumer Affairs, his focus was on ensuring consumers’ health and safety.
“Since taking on this role, I have worked with the ACCC on a rolling review of product safety standards, have banned dangerous products and issued safety warning notices, all to ensure consumers are given the advice they need to ensure their safety,” Mr McCormack said.
“The Government takes product safety very seriously and, as the Minister responsible, I will continue to work with the ACCC to hold organisations to account and to work to ensure consumers’ safety.”