$100 MILLION FOR GLADSTONE PORT ACCESS ROAD EXTENSION
The Federal Liberal and Nationals Government has committed up to $100 million to the upgrade road access to Queensland’s largest multi-commodity port at Gladstone.
Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development Michael McCormack said the Gladstone Port Access Road Extension project is a priority in order to support the state’s mining, agriculture and other export industries.
“This is big news for the big-employing industries such as mining and agricultural exporters that are the economic backbone of the great state of Queensland, as it will tackle congestion and safety issues that hamper access to the port,” Mr McCormack said.
“Our investment in upgrades to the Gladstone Port Access Road is an important step in ensuring that our freight supply chains are supported by fit-for-purpose road infrastructure.
“Gladstone residents will also benefit from less heavy freight vehicles on local roads. This project will address safety concerns caused by heavy vehicles interacting with local and general commuter traffic, as well as supporting the more efficient movement of freight along supply chains.”
Federal Member for Flynn Ken O’Dowd said the Government is further supporting industries across Queensland by investing $840 million to support the efficiency and safety of seven key freight corridors, including between Mount Isa and Rockhampton.
“Funded under the Roads of Strategic Importance initiative, this investment will address pinch points along these corridors, improving travel times, better connecting communities and supporting the economy through lower business costs,” Mr O’Dowd said.
“Investing in the Gladstone Port Access Road Extension is part of the Government’s commitment to supporting the freight sector through coordinated and targeted investment.
“The extension of the Gladstone Port Access Road will provide a dedicated freight route to improve transport efficiency and road safety within Gladstone, which is great news for the entire local community, as well as the broader central Queensland freight sector and the economic sectors that rely on it.”
The Federal Liberal and Nationals Government commitment represents up to 80 per cent of the expected cost of the project, with the Queensland Government to provide the remaining 20 per cent.